Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ever have One of THOSE days?

Today was a big one for me.

The transport bus this morning should have been a warning for me that I was going to have "ONE OF THOSE DAYS".  It was an early report morning, 0600, the bus was almost full of bleary eyed trainees.  I was in the very back of the bus riding along silently when a fellow classmate asked what i was so pensive about.

I had been thinking about my friend, Bill Ludwig.  Bill was a fellow trainer, more like a mentor, several years back.  He was a giant of a man, with a tender heart, willing to share any knowledge freely, openly, without thinking more of himself.  Bill had more training knowledge that had been lost from him than I could ever hope to gain in a lifetime.  He and I would co-train classes together where we could almost finish each others sentences, thoughts, and ideas - without being offended or offensive.  He had the most amazingly simple outlook toward life, one that I hope to achieve.  I write this to let you know how training can be a conducive environment for all participants to facilitate effective learning of the materials without the trainers getting in the way of the learning objectives.

You are probably wondering why I would be reminiscing about Bill while attempting to learn the duties of a flight attendant, well as the day wore on we were given over to a "trainer" who was the "nails on the chalkboard" for me.  As a former trainer of trainers, I find it difficult to learn when a really poor trainer is leading a class.  I sometimes can't focus on the learning objectives of the course because I am so distracted by the mannerisms and nervous ticks being displayed by the facilitator.

I was so frustrated that by the end of class I nearly failed the daily test being administered for the portion of class the "trainer" was facilitating.  Thankfully I passed by the skin of my teeth, something not comforting to my already worn psyche.  I was visibly shaking as I returned to the bus waiting zone; spoke to no-one on the ride back to the hotel; and disappeared to a lonely, but refreshing dinner before anyone could approach me.

God had other plans than to let me wallow in pity.  he placed into my mind Bob Willey, a mentor, confidant, and brother in Christ.  Bob and I spent several minutes in prayer over the phone before we rekindled each other to face another day in waiting for paradise.

Thank You God for friends to shoulder the load.

No comments:

Post a Comment