Thursday, November 11, 2010

God Winks in the Hallway

Feeling frustrated and alone on my birthday of all days, I was in the hallway connecting the E & F terminals of O'Hare Airport to hide out and just read; God had other ideas of more importance.

While reading The Jesus Chronicles; Luke's Story , I was focused into the meaning of Stoicism, which is the practice John was raised to believe in before meeting Jesus. I had been reading for several minutes when my peripheral vision caught sight of a man obviously looking for a power plug he could use between flights, I happened to be using one of the few plugs in the hallway. Being aware of this fact, I stood and offered to share the plug by moving to the center of the row of chairs, allowing my new friend, Slade, to take the end seat for ease of access to the power.  I thought nothing of this simple gesture other than , "the man is in need of power", he on the other hand believed this to be a most generous act of servitude.  A few minutes later a young lady was in the same predicament, looking for power.  I had been silent since Slade had arrived, but upon sensing the lady's distress I again stopped reading and offered assistance in the form of knowledge of a bank of power plugs hidden down the hall.  She was most grateful and nearly ran down to them sitting quietly for some time later.

I am writing this, not to brag about my willingness to serve but because of what transpired next.  Slade was so taken aback by my willingness to interrupt my solitude and assist a complete stranger he stopped working on his "urgent" emails and engaged me in conversation about why I would be so giving.  He explained that this very morning he met a woman at the Hotel he had stayed at last night. This woman was in a sour mood and not forthcoming to engage in casual conversation with patrons of the hotel.    Slade was attempting to encourage her through engagement and a friendly conversation.  He relayed to me that this woman, although at her work station on time, in uniform and ready to "serve" was no more ready than the man on the moon.

She was wearing a company shirt which was displaying the core values of the company on the back. Unbelievably she did not exhibit these values.  When asked about them she responded, " I don't have a clue what they say or what they mean". 

Slade looked at me and said, you and this woman are complete polar opposites, she was neither wanting or looking for ways to engage or encourage people to better their day, while I; not on duty; was willing to interrupt my solitude and improve someones life, albeit with a simple piece of knowledge. 

Slade and I then became more aware of the others interest in life goals as opposed to career and work.  We engaged on a level of Brothers in Christ for the next 40 minutes until it was time for his flight home to Southern Alabama.  Slade gave me his business card and we agreed to connect online and continue building an Earthly friendship that will last throughout Eternity!

The Moral:  Proverbs 5:21, " Mark well that God doesn't miss a move you make; He's aware of every step we take".

No comments:

Post a Comment